Class Teacher- Mr Davidson / Mrs Webster (Tuesday)
This term we are studying the following Science topic – Forces
Last term we were studying the topic of World War Two.
We learnt about :-
- how the war is thought to have started, reasons, location etc….
- rationing of food and other items
- evacuation of children from the cities
- the Blitz
- the role of the different armed forces
- writing a haiku poem about WW2
- writing newspaper reports in first person
In Maths we have been studying symmetry, area, angles and triangles,
Last term we did a whole school topic on Enterprise. We chose to make several products, which were then sold later in the term at the Enterprise/PSG Xmas Fayre.
We made Christmas-related cookies, countdown snowman and pencil pots in a variety of designs.
In ICT/Computing we have been learning about:-
- Using the Microsoft Publisher program the class created a booklet
- How technological developments have changed every day life and the things we use. We created a mind map using Kidspiration.
- Improving our word skills and learning again about the snipping tool app in Programs/Accessories
- Finding out about devices which have a computer in them.
drawing our own linear (e.g. getting dressed for school) and branching algorithms (e.g. shall we go to the cinema? – which has lots of choices)
- talking about Internet Safety and looking at the Thinkuknow website.
We watched an interesting article on CBBC Newsround about the online gaming websites and how to safe safe.
- designing our own Scratch sprites based on a Halloween theme.
- watching CBBC Newsround to learn more about National and International News.
- We used Microsoft Word to practice our keyboard skills by typing up the Spike Milligan poem – Granny. We added a border then changed the font colour and type if we had time.
Used the Microcomputer- Microbits to make scrolling messages and other codes. BBC Microbit website
We have been using the programming tool – Scratch in a variety of ways including :-
- creating our own dress-up game based on the Scratch example program- Dress -up with Tera Scratch game
- how to use the Scratch programming tool to create a simple cat and mouse game. In coding we learnt about forever loops, changing costumes, adding variables (timer and score) and event handler e.g. when clicked
- designing our own Scratch sprites based on a variety of themes.
- how to type faster and where all the keys are on the keyboard
- learning about file types including animated gifs (which often dance or move like a very short cartoon)